Franklin #3 Cabin
Our largest cabin. This 20x20 two-story log cabin has running hot and cold water to a large kitchen sink and front-loading washer and dryer.
* Total interior living space is 800 sq. ft.
* Eight-inch kiln-dried log walls. Joints are insulated and caulked. Floor, frame gable walls and roof are insulated with high-density, closed-cell, spray-in soy/urethane foam: Floor 7-inches R-48; gables 5 1/2-inches R-37; and roof 9-inches R-60.
* 92 percent efficient Monitor oil heater with 300 gallon fuel tank.
* Triple-pane Northerm Low-E, argon-filled windows, approved by the Alaska Cold Climate Housing Research Center. Insulated steel entry door.
* Heat Recovery Ventilation (HRV) system to optimize air quality.
* Hot/cold running water to large kitchen sink, fed by 165 gallon water tank, pressure tank/pump, and 20-gallon electric water heater on a timer.
* Front-loading washer and dryer.
* Heat-traced and foam-insulated drain pipes.
* A water tank for the renter's vehicle is provided to pick up water from Water Wagon or other local provider. A water transfer pump and hose is provided to transfer water into the cabin's water storage tank.
* Outside (summertime only) water spigot.
* Full size Energy Star appliances: washer/dryer, range, refrigerator, microwave and through-wall range ventilation hood. Most lights are LED.
* Laminate floor downstairs, carpet upstairs.
* Hickory kitchen cabinets and laminate countertops.
* Smoke/CO2 detectors and fire extinguishers.
* Wood slat window blinds.
* USB charging station.
* Electric emergency back-up wall heater that comes on should cabin temperature drop to 50 degrees. (A useful feature should you forget to fill the oil tank.)
* Excellent cell phone reception. Land phone line, satelite TV dish, Internet ready.
* Lighted outhouse, with regularly pumped and cleaned septic tank. Septic pumping provided.
* Private parking with winter vehicle plug-in on a timer located inside the cabin.
* Raised garden bed and hanging flower boxes.
* Close to the university, and adjacent to ski, bike, and dog trails. Quiet, private neighborhood, with fire, police and EMS protection.
* Snowplowing and hardpack removal provided. Cabins are close to a main road, and four-wheel drive is generally not needed, but helpful during snowstorms.
* There is no shower or bath in this cabin.